Four Die in Emmaus Apartment Fire

March 18, 2013
Source: The Morning Local
Source: The Morning Local

Home and apartment fires continue to cause injuries and deaths. This weekend four people tragically lost their lives in an apartment fire in Emmaus, Pennsylvania (just outside Allentown, PA). All of the residents of the apartment building were displaced by this  fire. The building had formerly been a funeral home and was converted to an apartment building. This raises many questions as to whether the building had all the appropriate life safety systems as wells as whether all systems within the building were appropriately maintained.

It is the responsibility of the landlord to have working smoke detectors and have all the exits appropriately marked and lit. It is also the responsibility of the landlord to have all the mechanical systems in good and working order. Gas leaks in the building may also cause an explosion and fire. Some apartment buildings without fire stairwells require escape ladders that can be placed outside of the windows. Check with your local fire department to see if the apartment or home you are living in provides all the appropriate fire safety equipment. Take the time now to ask the questions of the local fire department.

If you live in an apartment or home you must always be prepared for exiting your home in the time of an emergency. Have an exit plan and a back- up plan. Don’t leave it till the time of the emergency!

At Kolsby Gordon, we have successfully represented many families who have been injured and lost families members from home and apartment fires. At Kolsby Gordon, we know your rights and will protect your rights.