Patient receives inappropriate antibiotic, resulting in death.

A 49-year-old man went to the emergency room with chest pain. At his arrival, he had a fever and blood cultures were taken. The man was discharged from the emergency room before the blood culture results came back. The next day, the results were positive for an infection in his blood, but no action was taken. Two more days passed and the man was hospitalized with pneumonia, but no one looked up the blood culture results and he was put on the wrong antibiotic for his infection. By the time the mistake was recognized it was too late—the man went into septic shock, and ultimately died. Kolsby Gordon helped his family attain a recovery of $3.25 million.