November 23, 1940 – June 19, 2018
As a founding partner of Kolsby Gordon, Mr. Gordon was one of the most esteemed attorneys in Philadelphia. Known for his professionalism, legal acumen and expertise at trial, he was also largely responsible for building the firm’s reputation as an elite and respected personal injury firm.
Mr. Gordon concentrated his practice on plaintiffs’ trial work in professional malpractice, medical malpractice, products liability, drug injury, and personal injury. He tried cases involving failure to diagnose cancer, failure to prescribe vaccines, obstetrical negligence, orthopedic negligence, catastrophic injury due to defective machinery, as well as diving accidents.
Mr. Gordon litigated cases for both plaintiffs and defendants that have achieved significance nationwide, assisting those who are sued for false allegations and helping victims of extreme negligence.
In 1980, Mr. Gordon represented Schering Plough, securing an appropriate settlement for the drug manufacturer who had been sued by turkey growers claiming their product harmed the fowls’ embryos.
Kolsby Gordon was also named national counselor of a 1978 case, representing a group of women who developed cancer years after taking the drug diethylstilbestrol (DES), a hormone drug prescribed to pregnant women to prevent premature labor and miscarriage. The firm represented the nation’s first case concerning the drug, and many consequential lawsuits thereafter.
In 1970, Mr. Gordon joined the firm then known as Kolsby & Wolf. After six years of successfully trying and resolving cases throughout Philadelphia, he was named partner—a role in which he has continued to grow, along with the firm.
Building upon the firm’s reputation as a plaintiffs’ litigation boutique, Mr. Gordon took great pride in the individualized attention that each client received when they came to Kolsby Gordon. The practice of law is exceptionally rewarding, and gave him the opportunity to directly handle cases that can dramatically improve the lives of seriously injured clients.
In the Community
Widely sought for his wealth of expertise, Mr. Gordon was a member of nearly every professional organization that recognizes excellence in the practice of trial law.
In 1990, Mr. Gordon helped found the Judge Pro Tempore program within the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, a move that drastically reduced the extreme backlog of civil cases within Philadelphia by allowing pre-selected attorneys to sit as pro bono judges when needed.
From 2002 to 2003, Mr. Gordon served as the Chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association, the oldest metropolitan bar association in the country, as well as Chair of the Board of Governors of the Philadelphia Bar Association. Mr. Gordon was a member of the Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, and American Bar Associations; the Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Associations; and the Tau Epsilon Rho Law Society.
- J.D., Temple University Beasley School of Law, 1966
- B.S., Temple University, 1963
- United States District Courts for the Middle and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Board of Directors and volunteer attorney, Philadelphia Volunteers for the Indigent
- Chancellor and chair of the Board of Governors, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Judge Pro Tem, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas
- Lecturer, Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Lecturer, Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- Lecturer, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Lecturer, Gratz College
- Master, Temple University Law School Inn of Court
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Executive Board, Temple University School of Law Alumni Association
- Member, Tau Epsilon Rho Law Society
- President, Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- Zone Delegate, Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
Awards & Recognitions
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who Registry
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Philadelphia Super Lawyers